Saturday 22 December 2012

How to enjoy the holidays.

Hi Everyone!

Today I thought I would do a more personal post about the holiday season.
My love for Christmas and the holiday season is insane. 

I literally look forward to Christmas in the middle of summer.
I know that for many people, Christmas hits them much quicker than they would like and expect, and after Christmas they experience something I call Post-Christmas Depression.
I have had this unfortunate condition before, and it is when Christmas disapears so quickly that I did not have enough time to enjoy it.
I thought it would be fun to post some ideas on how to fully enjoy the holiday season, so that you won't face depression after the 25th of December is over. 

Disclaimer: these ideas may not work for everyone, but they are things that I have done this holiday season so far!
1. Listen to Christmas music--starting October. Not even kidding, I started listening at the end of October and I always have the Christmas channels on the radio in the car. 

2. Decorate your home. My mom loves decorating for the season so we have our big tree with lights, lots of little decorations all over the house, and Christmas lights and light-up reindeer outside of our house. It really gets you in the spirit of things.

3. Overload on holiday drinks. As soon as Starbuck's released their holiday drinks, I've only been getting drinks from that menu. They aren't going to be around forever! I've probably had about 10 Gingerbread lattes, 3 Caramel Brulee, 1 Peppermint Mocha, and 1 Peppermint Hot Chocolate. 

4. Christmas movies. I recently started watching Christmas movies and so far I've only watched Elf, The Polar Express, and The Holiday. I think it's a great idea to watch lots of holiday movies during this time. Can't wait to watch Home Alone and The Grinch soon!

5. Paint your nails festive colours (and dress for the season!). As soon as I got back from uni, I've had my nails painted mint-y blue, gold, and now cranberry red. Loving the festive colours! Also, I love to wear thick wool-y sweaters and I love wearing the oxblood colour because it looks so festive. For makeup, I wear golden-bronze eyeshadow from the Naked palette, and Nars sin blush. Very winter-esque!

6. Have festive gatherings with friends. My friends and I did not have a legit Christmas party this year but it was my birthday as well as my best friend's birthday. We had two festive dinners and it was really great to see everyone. The season is also about seeing the ones you love!

7. Watch a Christmas Pageant. Last Sunday I went to my church and the children put on a Christmas pageant! It was very cute and it is important to remember the true meaning of Christmas. Also fun to sing more Christmas songs!

8. Wrap your presents in festive packaging. This is a bit random but I do think it helps to enjoy the holiday spirit. Instead of just giving your presents in their packaging from the store, wrap them in festive wrapping paper and add a bow! I thought it was very fun to wrap my gifts up in holiday designs. 

9. Give out Christmas cards. It is SO much fun to give out Christmas cards if you have some time! I wrote most of mine right after I finished my exams. I gave them out to my housemates and close friends. It's a great time to reflect on your relationship with others and to wish others a happy holiday. Most people love to receive Christmas cards because they are so thoughtful. 

10. Build a Snowman, go sledding/skiing/skating. Unfortunately I have not been able to do any of these this year because it has barely snowed but once it snows, you bet I will be doing all of these! 

Hope you enjoyed reading this post and are able to appreciate the holiday season a little more!

Rebecca



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog